Winner of the 2008 Military Writers Society of America
for a memoir detailing his recovery from critical injury. Hodge went from total paralysis to treating the paralyzed, and he writes from the unique perspective of a patient and a healthcare provider.
About Chum Water
Hodge shares the extraordinary details of his four year recovery from critical injury and total paralysis in Chum Water, the first book in the Sharks on Wounded Fish series. Initially hospitalized six months with air medevac out of state, a genuine fish out-of-water still hopes to swim again. In this behind-the-scenes chronicle, a private journey from survival to success climaxes as Hodge returns to new work as a therapist assisting others with spinal cord injury. Life forever changes but dreams come true when Hodge water skis once more - with residual paralysis. Flash back to the seventies in Chum Water and be inspired when worst turns best as a street survivor becomes a career occupational therapist. Using surrealistic adventures and self-deprecating humor, Hodge provides the reader with breathtaking insights into the healthcare system - from the unique perspective of a patient and a healthcare provider.
- Hodge presented October 5th at the Oklahoma Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference 2008. His presentation was entitled, "Grading health care and adapting lifestyle with permanent injury: an aging patient / career OT provider's perspective."
- September 15, 2008 -- Hodge received MWSA Presidential Award & "Chum Water" won the MWSA 2008 Silver Medal for a Memoir.
- October, 2009 -- Hodge presents 2009 MWSA President's Award to co-winners Rob Ballister and John Cathcart in Orlando, FL.
- Oklahoma Occupational Therapist of the Year - 1991
- Gold Medal in four-track downhill snow skiing at Disabled Veterans Winter Clinic - Powderhorn, CO, 1987
- SEEK Award - Service Excellence with Exceptional Kindness -- Norman Regional Hospital Employee of the Year nominee, 1996
- Volunteer of the Year - Mid-America Chapter of the Paralyzed Veterans of America, 2007
- Registered/Licensed Occupational Therapist - 20 Year Career
"Tougher Than the Rest" Used With Permission of Chris LeDoux Organization
Copyright © 2007-2010 Hodge Wood Writes On.